Monday, November 16, 2009

Changes in Scenery

Well, it's been a long time since my last post. My grandfather passed away recently and I've had to do lots of traveling. When I'd get home, I wouldn't feel up for doing much of anything. I guess that's only natural.

But today, with a chunk of the ICU looking like a ghost town and outside looking like this -


- I asked to be on call. Snuggling up in my craft room with a piping hot cup of Joe, I got into some of the projects I had planned for this winter.

I started my rag rug*:


Worked on piecing my clam shell cushions:

And kept knitting away at this purple hat:


Here's D in the hat** I made him. It's alpaca and warm, but very lightweight. I just love how it turned out.


So new rug on the floor, new hat on D, new cushions on the chairs, and new snow on the ground. Changes all around. And to add to it all, on November 30th I start a new position as a staff ICU RN in Neuro/Trauma at St. Anthony Central Hospital on Colfax.

I'm very excited to join this hospital because it has a higher acuity and also because the whole staff interviewed me and hired me. It makes me feel less nervous. I will still need to come armed with baked goods on my first day, however, which won't be so hard as I intend on baking up a storm very soon.

This cookie cutter I got at my other new job here:

Yes, I started volunteering at a thrift shop for the Cat Care Society and I just LOVE it. I price donations and work the register. Right now the whole place is decked out for Christmas. If you like Christmas decorations and live nearby, I suggest stopping by. We've got TONS and all reasonably priced. If you go online first, there's a coupon you can print out.


December 4-5 is the Santa Paws event which, if you are a cat lover, is not to be missed. This is where my gingerbread men will be sporting their finest duds of royal icing, M&Ms and colored sprinkles. There will be a big bake sale, specials at the thrift shop and refreshments.

*To make your own rag rug, take fabric scraps and cut into strips about 1/2" wide. They can vary in length. Sew them end-to-end or just tie them together securely. Wind into a ball. Take a large crochet hook (like a Q) and chain 8. Join to form a loop. Into the 1st ch1,sc1. Into the 2nd ch, sc2. *sc1,sc2. Repeat from * until rug is as big as you want it. Press rug flat with an iron. Snip off any fuzzies or unruly fabric bits.

**To make D's hat you will need a nice, long set of double points. I used #6 Brittany 4.0mm. My alpaca yarn is slightly thinner that a sport weight. Cast on 75 and divide onto 3 needles. K4,P4 in the round. Continue until your hat is about 8 or 9" tall/long. This will ensure a good brim.
Time to decrease:
Round 1: K2tog,P2 all the way around.
Round 2:K1,P2.
Round 3: K1,P2tog.
Round 4: K1,P1

Repeat rounds 1-4 until there are about 5 stiches on each needle. Bind off stiches. Turn hat inside out. Sew top shut with yarn needle.

3 comments:

  1. Love all your projects and congratulations on your new job!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your new job! And congrats on having some projects going, too. I need that motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited for your new job - it sounds SO exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete