Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Cozy-ing up by the computer

I have been working on some quilted cushions to put on the rocking chair I refinished this summer. I decided to use a clam shell pattern. Here's an example pic from www.quiltersmuse.com:



The pattern originated in the 1830s, if I remember correctly, and can be difficult because it's all curves. I decided to piece to tops by hand and it's going well so far.

I love to sew and watch a good movie or something. Add a great cup of tea and it's pure bliss. I just watched Craft In America, which I give no less that a billion stars to. It's a PBS series that explains the history of crafts in this country with interviews from furniture makers, blacksmiths, quilters and jewelry makers. It's so fantastic! And you can see the whole series for free right here.

All of the artists were great. My favorite was Jan Yager. She's a jewelry maker (imagine that) working in Philadelphia. She uses objects she finds in her neighborhood for inspiration. She had a bone necklace similar to this picture, which I found here:


Except hers had several strands and was ancient. She was looking at it, as she explains in her interview in Craft in America, and thought that the maker of the necklace had collected bones, perhaps the bones of his dinner, and made them into a necklace for no real practical purpose. Just a desire to adorn ourselves that human beings apparently always had. She started looking around her immediate environment for things to make jewelry out of and made this:



At first glance, it looks like it could be a bone necklace or at least a tribal necklace of some sort. It's made from vials crack/cocaine in bought in that Yager found around her block. I think it's just fascinating.

Also, I have been watching Jim Henson's The Storyteller, an old series from 1987 where folktales are acted out using fantastic muppets or "creatures from the creature shop" as the credits say.






I'm so happy Netflix has these streaming online!

No comments:

Post a Comment