Saturday, July 18, 2009

picnics, pin cushions and pretties



Site Meter





What a nice few days off last week. Went to a few estate sales and garage sales but didn't come across the motherlode I was (and always am) hoping for.



Pretty tablecloth with matching napkins. Garage sale purchase. The lady had many lovely linens but this set was priced just right at $5.00



Makes a nice background for some great buttons I found at another garage sale. They were all in a sewing table drawer. I think I bought the lot for less than $5.00 including the curious eye glass.







And I finally finished winding some soft alpaca yarn into a ball. I love alpaca and I bought this bit at an alpaca store in a little mountain town on my first wedding anniversary, telling my husband it would someday be a snugglt hat for him on our snow shoeing adventures.






Oh no.

Nothing is safe in this house. Especially yarn.



One can control the situation with button force.




I also bought a very nice and long set of double points. They are made of pine and so smooth! Just a pleasure to knit with. I love working with double points and prefer it to circulars. With circulars, I always have ones that are too long. The wire reminds me of some painful catheter-like object that wants to poke me in the eye at work (RNs know what I mean). It's hard to find good, long double points. I was very happy to come across these. I was also happy to come across this practical little info on double point hats:
http://www.ehow.com/how_4762176_knit-hat-double-pointed-needles.html
Just a nice bit of info to use as a spring board for your own patterns and yarn. I love patterns but hate having to use the yarn the author chose and fool around with gauges. I am resistant. This stubborness is responsible for many 75% finished projects that are hanging up in little individual tote bags in my craft room closet. Like a small yarn graveyard perfectly arranged for my mother to tsk at (she's a knitting teacher, you know). I'll have to do a post on this sad little corner of my house. Maybe even given these away to new homes that will finish and cherish them. But that's for another time.

I close with pictures of a wonderful garden I went to with my husband. I woke up early on Saturday and made my way to the Highlands area of Denver where, after a good cuppa, I went to this cheese monger:
http://www.stkilianscheeseshop.com/

I bought some nice cheeses and crackers. Then I woke up hubby, dusted off a picnic set we received after our engagement, packed up some choice condiments and went here:

http://www.hudsongardens.org/

What a nice day for a picnic!












Just love these pin cushion flowers! I wish I had them in my little garden.







No comments:

Post a Comment