Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Best Friends - Old and New

This afternoon I went to the post office to send off my swap partner's package for the "I Love Pink and Aqua". I was pretty happy with the results, I must say. When she gets the package, I'll post pictures of what I sent.

When I started collecting for the swap, I first went to my jewelry stash to look for a good piece to either give to her or get inspiration from. No swap package made by me would be complete without some lovely bauble, bangle, or bead.

I found this, which, when bought for $2.00 at an estate sale, became my favorite necklace for a good two months.



The adjustable length and rhinestone/pearl combo made it perfect with every outfit. And the price was astounding.



I looked for blue and found the following:



Oh, how I adore this broach! I just couldn't part with it. Especially after losing a rhinestone and finding the perfect replacement in my stash. Can YOU spot the repair? Of course not. This guy had a $2.00 price tag as well, incidentally.



Now this is a beauty I really thought of including. Really, really, truly.



This I got at my favorite new thrift shop, Cajun's Closet. It is the thrift shop that supports the Cat Care Society. Here's their web page.

If you live in Denver, PLEASE GO TO THIS STORE. It's for your own good! Incredibly well organized, cute displays, good prices and daily discounts. One day a week, if you bring in a can of cat food, you get 10% off an item. You can bring up to 5 cans for a savings of 50% off one item. There are also student discount and senior citizen discount days. And if you're up to it after a great shopping spree, cross the parking lot and go to the shelter. It's a clean, modern building with very friendly staff. Just tell them you want to pet the kitties and they'll be OVERJOYED! Seriously! I'm an animal lover and love just spending time with cats and dogs, but most shelters are wary of strangers coming in, especially ones with no intention of finding a pet to take home. It's understandable. They want to do what they think is best for the animals. But it's still a bummer to encounter these folks.

This shelter is probably the best I've ever been to. The animals are all healthy and obviously well taken care of. They are separated into small groups of 4-6 in small rooms, each equipped with a screened in balcony accessible by cat door and loads of toys, beds and ledges to climb on. It's also very clean. There's a little shop area in the front that sells pet toys and kitty knick knacks.

Anyhow, back to the bracelet:



I just love the clasp. It is decorated with little stars each with a tiny pearl in the center. Such detail! A good score for $3.00. I ended up not including it because of the beads - some were purple and some of the pearl beads were worn. Also, it's a very tiny bracelet.

And here's another piece that didn't make the cut:




More royal than aqua. Cute, though. And great on a sweater. With sweater weather coming up, I'm glad to have it in my drawer.

So, I'm dying to show what I DID include, but will have to wait. Instead, let's talk about my new treasures. Last week, my in-laws (aka mom and dad c.) were visiting. This left little time for garage sales. Mom C. and I did shop, shop, shop which was great though. Being new to Denver and low on girlfriends, I rarely go to boutiques and loved having a fellow shopper around. I've spoken of Mom C. before. She's got a great sense of style and a stash of killer costume jewelry so shopping with her is always great fun.

Mom and Dad C stayed with Mom C's cousins, M&L. M&L are the closest family we have in Denver and are awesome, to say the least. Smart, funny and with an open door policy - I'm a big M&L fan. L is a doctor with a wealth of experience and always a good word of advice. M is a professional organizer (have you seen the new A&E show hoarders? She helps people like that). M also has a cool sense of style and blends old with new flawlessly. She knows where to find great antiques and also owns modern art and somehow everything fits seamlessly.

Anyhow, the last night Mom and Dad C. were here, we went to M&L's for dinner. M made a great birthday cake celebrating the birthdays of me, D and probably Dad C., since his b-day is around mine, although he let us blow out the candles. D made homemade ice cream. What a feast!

At the end of the meal, M gave me a sandwich baggie filled with goodies from cleaning out a client's mess. She knows I love jewelry and asked if I had any interest in the bag's contents. Here's what was in the bag:




First, bits and pieces. Little broken bracelets and single earings. All precious and useful. I love this earing especially:




I so wish I had the pair! It's like a piece of stardust. This picture doesn't do it justice. I've got to figure out a way to use it.






Little blue flowers that were once a bracelet or necklace. Also no plans yet for this, but who can resist their charm?

Here's an autumn set with amber rhinestones and gold leaves. One earring is missing a leaf, but the pin is perfect and I'll be sporting it soon.




Here's an interesting pin. It's missing a few stones. The back is marked sterling, so when I get a chance, I'll give it a good cleaning and see what I get. I'll also straighten out some prongs and post the result.



Lastly, a bracelet and necklace set.





The necklace is broken, unfortunately. At the dinner table, I discussed these pieces with M and Mom C and we were all interested in them because they were so heavy and well made. At home, I examined them further and found the name Trifari on the clasp of ther bracelet. Apparently, this was a very well known costume jewelry company. Started in 1918, many pieces command a high price and there are many collectors eager for pieces that brandish the Trifari crown logo. Though my set is probably not worth much, it's still an interesting history.

Well, that's it for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment