Sunday, September 13, 2009

Going Home

So I went home to Chicago for the weekend to visit my sister and ma. It was a quick jaunt. Got in Thurs night and left today in the wee hours of the morn so I didn't have a chance to hang out with old buddies or go to all my favorite shops. I mostly went home to see this:





Do you remember Mystery Science Theatre 3000? It's those guys. Minus Mike. Joel's there. So's TV's Frank and Pearl and they're all very funny. Totally worth it.

And before the show, we went here. This was by far the best Renegade I've been to. It was huge and people came from everywhere! Tons of really neat jewelry and clothes. Not just the usual felt stuffed animals and knitted scarves, but real cool pieces that took a lot of time and effort. (Don't worry, you can still score a silkscreened t-shirt with an octopus or cartoon sushi).

So I wanted to treat myself to something cool and I was immediately drawn to the jewelry booths and this girl in particular:



I love how her pieces tell a story. Her compositions are original and thoughtful. Some have vintage or antique parts, some have casts she made of antiques.



This necklace was for sale as just the ring. It's a Slavic engagment ring from the 16th century, excavated in the Baltics.



Every piece is a curiousity. Looking at her wares was like reading Smithsonian magazine. All these little nooks of history and experience the world has to offer and I have yet to explore!

I almost bought this:




Made from a cast of a wax seal, I was drawn to the nautical theme. I love nautical things. Especially ones with Victorian sentiment attached. I always have. Later in life, after jaunts on ferries and whale watching, it is apparent I have no sea legs whatsoever. Boo.

***All the above jewelry photos were taken from Erica Weiner Jewelry's website. Please contact her for purchasing info.

This is what I did buy:




Vertebrae were made into a mold and cast in brass. It was pricey for me but I just fell in love with it. And I don't really mind doling out a bit more to have an interesting piece from a good artist.

1 comment:

  1. We send them cheesy movies. The worst we can find. lalala. they have to sit and watch them all as we monitor their mind.
    My hubby and I LOVE MST3K!! Mitchell is my favorite episode! How fun to see it on stage. I think a new movie just came out to - we need to check that out.

    ReplyDelete